Say, hello to bananas, and kiss bad hair goodbye!
Packed with potassium, folic acid, and vitamin E, BANANAS are a fruit worth going apes over. Together, these three nutrients work to promote hair growth, as well as moisturize and build healthy shiny hair.
What are these nutrients? And, what can they do for hair?
Bananas are well known for containing a high level of potassium, a key mineral that your body needs to function properly. Your body uses potassium to create protein, build new muscle tissue, burn carbohydrates, hydrate your skin, and grow hair. In fact, research has shown that a lack of potassium can actually cause hair loss. The good news though, is that simply adding potassium rich foods, like bananas, back into your diet can stop hair loss and promote hair growth.
Folic Acid, also known as Folate, is a vitamin commonly referred to as Vitamin B9. Like Potassium, Vitamin B9 has several significant roles in maintaining healthy hair, including increasing cell regeneration, stimulating hair growth, and preventing premature greying through the regulation of red blood cell production in your body. Vitamin B9 will also help moisturize your hair, making your hair soft and shiny.
Vitamin E is another vitamin found in bananas that is important for your hair. Studies have shown that Vitamin E is one of the best antioxidants for protecting your skin and hair from harmful free radicals like pollution and sun damage. And, not only does vitamin E protect hair, it is also an essential vitamin in the production of new tissue and helps increase blood circulation and oxygen throughout the body. This role effectively aids in the growth of healthy hair.
Add more banana to your hair care routine
Bananas, like most superfoods, are beneficial for your hair through consumption as well as via topical use. Something most people don’t realize, is that banana peels contain a healthy oil with amazing benefits for hair. When applied topically, banana oil helps protect hair cuticles from sun damage, strengthen hair roots, balance the scalp’s natural pH level, and condition dry hair and scalps. These benefits, mean banana oil is an excellent aid in preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth, and makes it a natural anti-dandruff treatment. For maximum benefits, add bananas to your diet and follow our DIY recipe to make Banana Oil, and start incorporating more banana into your hair care routine.
– 5 banana peels
– 5 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Cut banana peels into pieces and transfer to a zippered plastic bag.
2. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible from the bag.
3. Use a heavy rolling pin to mash and crush banana peels until they form a soft texture.
4. Transfer mashed peels into a tightly sealing glass container and add Olive Oil (or your preferred oil).
5. Seal the container and allow the mixture to sit in a warm sunny area for a few days, shaking the jar every few hours to mix peels and oil.
6. Use a cheese cloth to strain the mixture, separating the oil from the banana peels. Discard peels.
7. Keep oil in a tightly sealed jar and store in a dark, dry cool area.
Remember, a good motto is “when you’re healthy, your hair is healthy”.